Valve has released a beta for SteamVR, a new way to interact with Steam using the Oculus Rift virtual reality headset.
The announcement came from Valve programmer Joe Ludwig a few hours ago:
"As of the most recent Steam Client Beta steam now supports an experimental VR mode. If you own an Oculus Rift dev kit you can try it out by starting Steam with “-vr” on the command line. Then press the Big Picture button to enter Big Picture + VR mode."
The first time you run you may need to do the following:
- Run Steam in the desktop client without the -vr option
- Find “SteamVR” under “Tools” in your library. (If you don’t have it installed, install it.)
- Bring up properties on SteamVR and opt-in to the “Beta Update” beta. Let the update download.
- Quit the Steam Client again and start it with -vr
Reddit user Cunningcory has detailed instructions for Oculus Rift users to fix the initial problems users have been having launching SteamVR with Oculus Rift:
- Go to “Library”, “Tools”, and download SteamVR
- Opt into SteamVR Beta. Make sure it’s up-to-date
- Set Steam to start in Big Picture mode.
- Create a shortcut to Steam and add -vr to the launch options
- IMPORTANT: Set the Rift as an extended monitor and make sure it’s the secondary.
- Start Steam using your modified shortcut.