Today developer Grinding Gear Games has released Sacrifice of the Vaal, the first mini-expansion for the online free-to-play roguelike Path of Exile. The official trailer and some details can be found below.
Content includes a showdown with the Queen of the Vaal, free-for-all- PvP mode, new league that has players taking on specific challenges, new skill gems, new Vaal-themed areas and more.
The first 50 people to defeat the Queen in each of the new challenge leagues will receive an exlusive Vaal effect.
Other details we posted earlier:
- Vaal orbs can corrupt gear (modify gear - adds an intrinsic line? corrupted boots earlier had intrinsic MS%)
- Vaal orbs can corrupt gems (makes them uber)
- Uber gems require souls to cast (roughly 14 new skills)
- Vaal artifacts occur every so often during gameplay and corrupt the area around them
- Corrupted areas will have new "bosses" (?) and is where you will find vaal orbs
- AMBUSH league (softcore): treasure chests guarded by monsters - monsters can be customised? (like maps but for chests)
- INVASION league (hardcore): new challenging bosses with new mechanics appear!
- Vaal artifact fragments: complete the artifact to unlock new area(s)
- APEX OF SACRIFICE (a new dungeon?): first 100 to kill the boss in here get a cosmetic reward!
- PVP MODES!: cutthroat mode (unsure if it is its own "league") and FFA arena