Sony announced that PlayStation VR will launch this October. Currently there are over 230 developers working on content for the headset, and we can expect to see around 50 games to release between the October launch and the end of 2016.
The headset which was formerly known as Project Morpheus will go for $399 in the US, £349 in the UK, €399 in Europe, ¥44,980 in Japan and AU$550 in Australia.
The PlayStation VR set has a 5.7 OLED screen at a resolution of 1920 X RGB X 1080 (with 960 x RGB x 1080 for each eye). The full specs can be found below.
- Product Name: PlayStation VR
- Product Code: CU-ZVR1series
- Release Date: October 2016
- Recommended Retail Price: $399 US, £349 UK, €399 Europe, ¥44,980 Japan and AU$550 Australia.
- External Dimensions: VR headset: Approx 187x185x277 mm (width: Approx. 187 x 185, excludes largest projection, headband at the shorts) Proccessor unit: Approx. 143x36x143 mm (width or unit: approx, excludes largest projection)
- Mass: VR Headset: approx 610g (excludes calbe) Proccessor unit: Approx 365g
- Display Method: OLED
- Panel Size: 5.7 inches
- Panel Resolution: 1920XRGBX1080 (960 X RGB X 1080ion Approx)
- Refresh rate: 120Hz, 90Hz
- Field of View: Approximately 100 degrees
- Sensors: Six-axis motion sensing system (mirroring mode, separate mode) Cinematic mode
- Included: VR Headset, processor unit, VR headset cable, HDMI cable, USB cable, Stereo headphones, AC power cord, and an AC adaptor. (Note: PS Camera not included)
- Supports: DualShock 4 controller
- Confirmed Games: Eagle Flight (Ubisoft), EVE: Valkyrie (CCP Games), Headmaster (Frame Interactive), Rez Infinite (Enhance Games), Wayward Sky (Uber Entertainment), RIGS: Mechanized Combat League (SCE WWS), Tumble VR (SCE WWS), Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (SCE WWS), PlayStation VR Worlds (SCE WWS)
PlayStation VR will also support standard PS4 games, movies and other content via a "Cinematic Mode", which can be viewed at different zoom levels.