The last patch for Warcraft 3 was back in 2011, but it seems like Blizzard has been trying to update older games to be compatible with newer systems. A few days ago, Diablo 2 got a compatibility patch, and now patch 1.27 gives Warcraft 3 the same type of update.
The patch makes it so you can play Warcraft 3 with a modern systems, you can find the patch notes below:
Specific Changes and Improvements
- Throw away that old PowerPC Mac in the closet, we’ve created a new installer to support Mac 10.10 and 10.11
- Improved compatibility with Windows 7, 8.1, and 10
- Fixed a crash caused by Chain Lightning
- Windows 8.1 and 10 saved games are still stored in a location that requires running as system admin
- Some graphical issues with the cinematics are still occurring
- Changes to gamma settings will not take effect in windowed mode
- Cyrillic characters are still not displaying
- Disabled ambient sound while a MIDI issue is being resolved
- Mac 10.9 and earlier are not supported
- Mac build does not support the editor
So with both Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3 getting compatibility updates, could this mean that Starcraft is next? And what other games could Blizzard be updating in the future?